Hammersmith Council has refused an application for a new hotel on North End Road.
The applicant, Continental Coachworks Ltd, had put forward an application for demolishing the existing buildings and erection of a 38-bedroom hotel with associated infrastructure. The proposal had previously been refused for design reasons.
The refusal was for the following reasons:
- That application 2022/00670 be refused due to its visually detrimental impact on the Building of Merit at 3 Challoner Crescent.
- That application 2022/00670 be refused due to its harmful impact on the character and appearance of the conservation area.
- That application 2022/00670 be refused due to its overbearing bulk, resulting in an unneighbourly increased sense of enclosure and loss of outlook to residents in Lanfrey Place.
- That application 2022/00670 be refused due to its increased noise disturbance from comings and goings, deliveries and associated general activity, which would have a detrimental impact on the residential amenity of surrounding properties.
Two councillors declared an interest in the site before going on to vote:
- Councillor Alex Karmel declared an interest in Item 4 – 112 – 114 North End Road and 4 Challoner Crescent, as he was acquainted with some of the residents that had objected. However, as he had not discussed the application with them, he remained in the meeting and voted on the item.
- For transparency, Councillor Omid Miri declared an in Item 4 – 112 – 114 North End Road and 4 Challoner Crescent, as he worked in the office of Andrew Slaughter MP. However, as his role had no connection with planning matters, he remained in the meeting and voted on the item.
The Committee heard two representations from residents in objection. Councillor Daryl Brown also spoke in objection. The Agent, HGH Consulting, spoke in support of the application.
© London West (powered by ukpropertyforums.com).
Sign up to receive your free bi-weekly London West journal here